After a memory-filled eventful Saturday night, a family of four returned home from a Halloween party to encounter a tragic accident that will then cost their lives. On early Sunday morning on October 29, a devastating fire suddenly broke out on the third floor of the apartment building, thus entrapping the family of four on the 4th floor. The “Neighbors heard their cries for help” and but “it [slowly] went silent” right before the Taipei City Fire Department arrived.
These tragic fire incidents can occur anytime and any given moment and the best way to prevent these terrible accidents is to at least comply with the fire code and building code. The apartment complex did not meet the minimum fire code as the building 1) did not have any sort of fire detection device, 2) it neglected the passive fire protection compliance as the interior was made of wooden paneling, 3) the security bars barring the windows restricted access out of the premise, and 4) the stairway out of the building was converted to an “interior stairway” and thus also limiting their access out from just only the main door. Negligence of safety regulations can not only cause millions of dollars in damage cost but also costing the lives of thousands of people.
The negligence of fire safety and regulations within residential and commercial buildings need to be strictly mandated. Another example of negligence of fire safety --which occurred in earlier months this year-- was the Grenfell Tower fire catastrophe. On June 14, 2017, a 24-storey building in West London was set ablaze from 2nd floor to the top of its roof. The fire was caused by faulty wiring on the second floor. Although the cause of the fire may not have been predicted, the non-compliance to the passive fire protection led the fire to spread much quicker by drawing up flames up the cavity without any fire barriers. Now the property owners face possible criminal charges for “negligence of manslaughter” and life time prison terms. In the article called: The 21st Floor, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) vividly and emotionally captures aftershock of 5 past-tenants of the Grenfell Tower and how this incident has impacted their lives. Warning: the article contains content that may be distressing for some readers.
Problems within many building around the world is the negligence of fire safety. Currently 54% of the world’s population lives in the Urban Areas and it is expected to increase to 66% by 2050; neglecting the fire safety code will continue to have greater ramifications. HEX’s corporate social responsibility is to not only provide outstanding services and security technology to the public but also educate and influence governments and enterprises all around the world about the importance of fire safety. HEX works closely with the Taiwanese Government and the city ordinance to advise and propose new implementation of regulations and laws. Technology is growing at an exponential rate and the utilization of smart/data learning technology will help guarantee the safety of civilian’s live all around the world.